Altering X and Y orientation

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

4DThinker

Re: Altering X and Y orientation

Post by 4DThinker »

MacMarty15221 wrote:2b) A window with tuning parameters will appear. Look for the one named "Y step size in MM".
2c) The default value is a negative number. REMOVE the minus sign, leaving the numbers the same.
2d) Click SAVE. The tuning parameter window will disappear.
Did you change the Y step state or the listed X step state?

If you want the new "front" of the Shark to be the side with the X motor sticking out of the gantry then change the Y value state.
If you want the new "front" to be the opposite side then change the X value state.

plascell1

Post by plascell1 »

NWA CNC Shark Control Panel V2.0 doesn't have Cntl-E. Use Cntl-G instead.

After playing with my V2.0, I find more hidden stuff:

Cntl-I DIAGNOSTICS
Cntl-R RUN PROGRAM
Cntl-G CONFIGURATION Password "787"
Cntl-D MATERIAL SIZE
Cntl-S SCAN
Cntl-L FILE Directory
Cntl-B DEBUG PANEL
Cntl-C Resets mouse location Suspect it does something else
Cntl-P Resets mouse location Suspect it does something else

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Maybe I am being obtuse, but why would you not simply orient your drawing differently in VCarve?

Any of the Sharks can handle 12" wide, and the 50" direction can run front to back rather than side to side. The machine cares not which way the project 'looks'. The only trick to doing long signs is indexing the sections so that they match accurately, but that has nothing to do with X,Y orientation.

What am I missing?

gordread

Post by gordread »

Guys, this is amazing. When I saw this thread I was so very happy.

As for why I want to do this, rotating the drawing in vCarve is certainly an option. However, after a while of working and making 'that last little change' with my head tilted 90 degree because I was too lazy to rotate everything back, then make the change, then rotate everything again, it just seems easier to switch the machine orientation once than to rotate all of my designs each time I want to make a change.

Gordon

lestofts

Post by lestofts »

Does the cntl E option work with the Shark controller V2.1? I'm not getting a response when I try it.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

lestofts ,

Use control "G"

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

lestofts

Post by lestofts »

Thanks Tony. Just after I posted I saw an earlier reply specifying ^G. New to Shark and the Forum and so far both have exceeded expectations!

Les

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

I am sorry but I do not see any problem with using the table as shipped from Next Wave Automation. I have created several project signs using the y-axis as my width of the sign and the x-axis as the height of the sign --- No problem here :!: Of course, I am Left Handed :roll: so maybe that is why it seems okay to me :lol:

Have a GREAT DAY Everyone! And BE SAFE around those machines!!!
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Scootey7

Post by Scootey7 »

Im working with a Shark hd extended bed. Is this still the only way? I'm very new to CNC's and don't want try a work around. I can't believe that designing a sign sideways is the way to cut a long sign. Is there a way to design horizontally then rotate everything as a whole without haveing to realign everything. I would think it would be possible to simply rotate the view of the program.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Im working with a Shark hd extended bed. Is this still the only way? I'm very new to CNC's and don't want try a work around. I can't believe that designing a sign sideways is the way to cut a long sign. Is there a way to design horizontally then rotate everything as a whole without haveing to realign everything. I would think it would be possible to simply rotate the view of the program.
No there is no quick and easy way!

Two (2) options come to mind.

1.) You could change the x and y wiring (which you can find on this forum) as other individuals have done. Take note that this is not a SAFE option for you will always have to remember that your machine has been modified/changed.

OR

2.) Do as I mention below.

I am also using the Shark HD extended bed. I have many times created signs in V-Carve Pro as DESIGNED (x as x Long part of sign and y as y Short height of sign) then grouped all the vectors, rotate, and changed material size to match, un-grouped all the vectors, then re-calculated toolpaths to match the new orientation. This new orientation and toolpaths now will run on my CNC.

I always maintain two copies of the file. One file in the V-Carve Pro DESIGNED mode for changes, additions, etc.... and the a second file (rotated) for the proper orientation to run on the CNC.

Hope this helps!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!!
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554