X axis Trouble - not square?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

aeromarv

X axis Trouble - not square?

Post by aeromarv »

Hi folks.

Not sure how to adequately describe this, but I'm looking for some suggestions. I have the CNC Shark HD. When the router bit jogs along the x axis, it leaves a bit of material (a line if you will) along the edge of the bit on the positive Y axis side. Its as if the bit itself is not square to the table, like the shaft of the router is't a full 90 degrees relative to the table.

Anyone have a similar experience at all? If so, did you find a fix?

I'm seeing this with my 5/8 end mill when running a planing pattern over the face of my piece to get it nice and clean before doing the rest of my routing. Also noticed it on a 1.5" planing bit I was using to try to prep a spoil board. And yes, I am using a stepover to allow overlap of my router passes, so its not just missed material.

Thanks!

4DThinker

Re: X axis Trouble - not square?

Post by 4DThinker »

Yes. Thanks to the plastic used in the gantry it is very possible your router isn't plumb to the cutting plane. I had to add a length of 2" x 2" angle iron to the top edge of the gantry on the HD 2.0 I use to counteract the deflection cause by the cantilevered router. You can see if the panels of your gantry are flat or curving like mine were, and fix it the same way, or shim your router in the clamp until you have the bit plumb. Use a small square against a straight bit or rod in the non-spinning router to check for square in all directions. Shim as needed, then check again.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Another thought ... In addition to stiffening the width of the X Axis Gantry. Search for the way to adjust the Z Axis plumb to the table. It is easy to do, and does not need shims to do it. The is an excellent Thread that explains all this.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

I used some thin nylon washers to shim my router until it was plumb to the table. I too used a straight bit and a machinists square to adjust it until it was perpendicular.
Rick

Sewer Weasel

Post by Sewer Weasel »

Greetings from a new guy

My question is sort of a chicken egg thing. How do you measure if your router is plumb if your table is not coplaner? Which do you do first shave the spoil board or check for plumb?