Computer

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Ray Markley

Computer

Post by Ray Markley »

Relative to the computer, I have always been a MAC person and I recognize that the MAC is not compatible. I would think that I could get an older used PC, but what parameters are necessary.

4DThinker

Re: Computer

Post by 4DThinker »

Two things to consider. The controller to run a Shark doesn't need much. Mine is five or six years old, running Windows Vista. A small box Dell with USB ports. You don't NEED the latest fastest win7/8 PC to run VCarve but the faster it is the less time you'll wait for long tool path renders to complete. Any modern PC with an i5 chip in it should do fine with VCarve and not cost much.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

I use a 13 year old Dell 4550 and XP Pro SP3. I have never questioned whether an upgrade is necessary. You will find models like this on Craigslist for well under $100 for the whole thing. All it does, is run the CNC Thingy. And, it does that wonderfully well.

Find someone you know, conversant in PC matters and let them help you.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

gmm50

Post by gmm50 »

Try Best Buy and look for DELL refurbished. $200-$300 you can find a nice computer with Win7 and lots of memory and drive capacity and warranty.

These are off leas units that have been refurbished and work well.

Good Luck.
George

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

gmm50 wrote:Try Best Buy and look for DELL refurbished. $200-$300 you can find a nice computer with Win7 and lots of memory and drive capacity and warranty.

These are off leas units that have been refurbished and work well.

Good Luck.
Walmart also sells refurbs. I needed an older model with a parallel port so I ordered one from them.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I used to run mine off an XP installed netbook!

I highly recommend laptops as opposed to desktops for shop environments. Dust is less an issue than you think, just gently blow out the desktop box every so often and things will be fine, but laptops are better sealed, and easier to blow out without needing to open it up. Also, laptops are more 'cohesive' than desktops. Most parts are specifically chosen to work together and tend to be board mounted rather than components pulled off a shelf and plugged together.

I can't really swear to why, but in 20+ years of running CNCs in woodworking shops, laptops just seem to be less problematic.

Ralph