Base table off on the "x" axis

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Sparkie113

Base table off on the "x" axis

Post by Sparkie113 »

I am new to CNC Shark but is it common to have to shim the base table in the "X" axis?
It is off about 1/16.
Thank you
Rich

milo30

Re: Base table off on the "x" axis

Post by milo30 »

Yes. It needs to be adjusted to be flat. You will also need to ensure that it is 90 degrees to the router.

Sparkie113

Post by Sparkie113 »

Thank You
I will also check to see if it is square.
Rich

SawDust913

Post by SawDust913 »

I use .75" MDF as a base attached the top of the CNC's bed. I cut a 4x8 sheet of MDF into 24 inch squares; (about 3 or 4 years worth in 1 sheet)
Then I program 3 pockets with a cut depth of .02 All three are at the SAME cutting depth. First pocket is a Raster .0. Then a Raster at 45.0 degrees an final Raster at 90.0 degrees. I use a 1" Center Cut Router Bit. Most of the time I only have to run 1 pass but I have had to run 2 passes. I do save the Tool Paths in this order which works for My Shark. I now have a perfectly level bed with the gantry. I then use a V-Bit and put grid lines both X & Y at .02 depth. I find this makes it easy to line up my work piece. Bottom line is use a sacrificial base board. I have had fewer projects come loose using screws rather then the clamps to hold project in place. I always use the Shark to plane off the project, both sides and now I have each project perfectly level and square with the gantry. Any Questions? Contact Me.

gmm50

Post by gmm50 »

We ended up fly cutting the base to be flat with the machine.
Then added a waste board on top and also cut that flat to the machine.

These steps have made results look way better. We're mostly cutting plastic (HDPE) and some wood for forms for thermal plastics (Kydex)
George