Table not level

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pined

Table not level

Post by pined »

I just purchased a HD4 with extended base and have it all set up. Everything works fine except the fact that the base is not quite parallel with the gantry, it's a little over 1/16" difference. I'm using a v-groove bit and the groove goes deeper as it travels across the base. Is there any way to adjust this?

bill z

Re: Table not level

Post by bill z »

The obvious but less rewarding is to keep loosening and tightening the bolts that hold the table till you get is level with respect to the router.

What I did was to place strips of MDF down as sacrifice board. Use strips so you can still use your clamps. Then I used a 1.5 inch flat end mill and cut the top of the MDF till it was flat with respect to the router.

Check out this post http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4684

Yes, every time you replace your MDF, you will have to re-run that .tap file to flatten everything out again.

Know that you may have to adjust the way your router sits in the router clamp. They are not always aligned ether.

I just use more sacrifice board on top of the MDF.

Let us know what you decided to do to level your top.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Adding MDF to my table top and using spindle and good size router bit leveled my table sufficiently!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I just got the HD4 about 3 weeks ago.
I may have been lucky, because I just surfaced my spoil board yesterday and it came out perfect.
I checked after the cut with a v-bit and went to all 4 corners and the center. The spacing below the bit was the same on all 5 points.
I just used a feeler gauge to check it.
The setup problem I had was the hand held Pendant kept going into lockup. NWA tech support was great. I was on the phone with them for almost 2 hours and they talked me thru the reset process.

One question I have is, isn't Virtual zero used to correct for these sort of errors on the bed setup?
I haven't tried using it yet, but that is what I thought that software is designed to fix.

SteveM

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Steve,

I use virtual zero all the time and works great. Maps the 4 corners and center of each piece, plus u can set it up to map it in an inch from each corner also.

Tony

https://www.facebook.com/TDWoodworking- ... 2/?fref=ts
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.