Dust/Noise Box with Integrated Cyclonic Separator

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JerryBurks

Dust/Noise Box with Integrated Cyclonic Separator

Post by JerryBurks »

I had mentioned this on the Shark Pro Plus section and somebody wanted to see some pictures.

But I thought it might be better posted in "Setting Up". Anyway, here are a few pics, I hope somewhat self-explaining.
More pictures are actually here

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Dust/Noise Box with Integrated Cyclonic Separator

Post by jeb2cav »

Really nice - thanks (a lot) for sharing this with the forum). What is the plastic material that you used for your ingenious cable guide track?

JerryBurks

Post by JerryBurks »

jeb2cav wrote:Really nice - thanks (a lot) for sharing this with the forum). What is the plastic material that you used for your ingenious cable guide track?
It is a scrap strip of 1" wide Lexan, I believe 40mil or 60 mil thick. I bought it some time ago from McMaster-Carr for other purpose. I am pretty sure other plastic strip will work as well.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Jerry,

Well thought out project with excellant engineering. So that's what 'Hotel California' looks like?

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Bob

Post by Bob »

Jerry,
How were you able to post more than 3 pictures?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

JerryBurks

Post by JerryBurks »

They are actually not "posted" (stored on this server).

They are on Picasa (Photobucket would work as well) and I used the "Img" button to link there.
Some forums (fori?) limit that, too, to cut down the page load times. But no problem with the 4 pics I tried.

JB
Last edited by JerryBurks on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryBurks

Post by JerryBurks »

Buc wrote:Jerry,

Well thought out project with excellant engineering. So that's what 'Hotel California' looks like?

Buc
Thanks, just happen to be an engineer :roll:

And yes this is my garage-turned-shop in SoCal. Normally not that organized. I tidied up first time in 3 years when I got the CNC machine.....

JerryBurks

Post by JerryBurks »

Update on results after using this table/box for a month.....

I closed the slot under the front glass. While the air flow helped moving the dust to the rear and getting sucked up, there were just too many chips flying out to the front defeating the purpose.
I drilled ten 1" diameter holes instead into the front Plywood next to the glass to allow air to come in. I also do not run the extractor fan all the time. I usually finish the job and let the dust pile up inside the box. When finished I turn on the extractor and blow with a compressed air nozzle into the new holes. That stirs up the dust to be sucked out. It takes about a minute and the shop is mostly free of dust. There is still some flying when the workpiece is removed, though.

I also measured the noise. 94 dB in 4 ft distance when milling open and 76 dB with the box closed. That goes a long way to stay friends with the neighbors. When the garage door is also closed you can barely hear the machine operating inside.