Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

retired53

Programming

Post by retired53 »

How difficult is programming the Shark?

Kayvon

Re: Programming

Post by Kayvon »

It pretty much depends on the software you have, assuming you mean the g-code generation. You can generate this all by hand if you want, but you shouldn't.

Many (most?) Shark owners have some version of Vectric's software, which is absolutely fantastic stuff. Very easy to learn as CAD software goes and outputs g-code that the Shark can use directly.

gmm50

Post by gmm50 »

We start with a simple CAD program (QuickCAD) and generate a 2D part with dimensions and notes.
We then strip the dimensions and export a DFX file.
Next import that into Vectrix and make all the cuts and generate a G Code file.

If there are any changes to be made, we go back to the original CAD file and make the changes with dimensions. And then repeat the steps.

This is a stable design environment and we can run many prototype designs at the same time.
We can share the dimensioned drawing to vendors for production quotes as required.
George

markjonesranger

Post by markjonesranger »

I personally found vcarve to be the best CAD program I have used. I have house plans in it. Detailed chess pieces in it. Designed a shower valve shut off handle with it and then exported it out and 3d printed it. Now purchased Aspire and using it to make 3d models. Pretty cool stuff and very logical. Nextwave is smart selling it with their sharks. Its really good software.

I like what you see is what you get with Vcarve. What you see rendered is what you get. There is free trial software to download and use. Best practice in my opinion is to watch a bunch of youtube videos on vcarve and then download the trial and play around with it. Either way you won't be disappointed.

Rlingo

Post by Rlingo »

How do you get a file from "Ready to Raster" (G-file) to the Lazer? The Instruction booklet illustrates how to get a Vector file to V-Carve but not G-File to V-Carve

Miller Scottish

Post by Miller Scottish »

Programming the Shark can be hard, but it can be done with the right help.