Initial Setup/Little Knowledge

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

OUvet

Initial Setup/Little Knowledge

Post by OUvet »

Hello all,

I finally got my Shark HD520 and have zero experience with a cnc or other device with programming skills. I feel like every step along the way thus far has been a learning curve. I got the spindle system when I purchased the cnc. I am stuck working through the projects to get this machine set up and respond to me properly. Initially Project 1 (Tool Holder) started carving one of the large circles perfectly (seemed like ten times), then moved over and was about a half inch above the second large circle. It carved both of these large circles for the collets, but did not continue the remainder of the project (slots for wrenches and 8 slots for bits.

Can anyone help shed some light on what I may be doing wrong and where to start as a newbie on learning how to properly use this machine? Thanks ahead of time.

Bob

Re: Initial Setup/Little Knowledge

Post by Bob »

Would you be willing to post your crv (drawing) file?
I would like to take a look at it and see if there's anything that stands out.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

OUvet

Post by OUvet »

Absolutely, here is the file I have and I appreciate your assistance and ability to teach me something. Looking forward to learning more.
Tool Holder (29 Sep 22).tap
(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

You've attached your gcode file (the .tap file), not the project file (.crv file). Looking at it, I see it only contains what you've described: Two round holes that are 5/8" deep. There's nothing more.

I can see that the only toolpath in the gcode file is "Pocket 3" from your original project. I'm guessing you meant to include more, but either forgot to add other shapes to your "Pocket 3" toolpath or forgot to include other toolpaths in your gcode file?

If you'd like to post screenshots of (1) your project view when you create the toolpath and (2) the view of saving your toolpaths, we can probably help you work it out.

OUvet

Post by OUvet »

Thank you Kayvon.

I pulled that gcode down from the Shark website for projects. As you can tell, I am very unfamiliar in this whole process and I appreciate any assistance in learning. I included the CRV file this time. I can also do screenshots if that works better. I also tried to venture on my own on Shark's file and do some modifying, then the next thing I know I had a message my machine would cut through my board and into the bed.

I planned tomorrow on trying to start over and try to see where I went wrong. I also planned to try and take a beginner lesson on either Vetric or the Learn your CNC webinar. Just want to make sure I become proficient in this and really learn how to use the machine and such. Thanks again and any advice/lessons I can learn I will be happy to put in the work and attention.
Attachments
Tool Holder VCarve file.crv
(292.5 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Thanks for posting the project file. I don't have VCarve installed on this PC, so I can't open it up from here. If I remember when I get home, I'll give it a try, but it will only work if you're also using the old version of VCarve that I'm using.

The more reliable approach is probably to post the screenshots of what you're seeing and doing when creating the toolpaths and gcode file.

markjonesranger

Post by markjonesranger »

Watch some of the videos on youtube on vcarve. It will help you learn vcarve.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Sure enough. You've got VCarve Pro 11.014 (congrats!) and I'm still using 8.5. Maybe someday I'll uprade, but it's been doing what I want for my current use. Meanwhile, I can't open your file, but I'd be happy to help you out if you post the requested screenshots.

OUvet

Post by OUvet »

Kayvon,

Thank you. I will work on getting those sent out this weekend. I've had a few things going on family wise that took time away. I appreciate your help. I'll do my best to get them posted. I was able to get all three areas of the file to print and figured out I had to select each area's toolpath.