Desperately Need of Assembly Help!

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Natman

Desperately Need of Assembly Help!

Post by Natman »

Hi all,

I have a situation I hope you guys can help with...

This CNC machine was lent to me about 5 years ago and it got disassembled and placed in storage for a long while by a third party (thanks COVID). Now that I need to get it back together, I see there is at least one piece missing.

I would love to get what ever resources out there to get it back in service!

I'm not even sure what model this is since I didn't buy it but the workable area of the bed is 2 ft x 3 ft. It was purchased new in about 2015 from Rockler.

Below is a photo I took while it was working properly in my basement.

The part which is missing is the back plate which looks like this (an image I found online):

Now I need guidance in putting everything back together. Are there any instruction manuals available?
I hate being in this needy position but I have to give the machine back to my friend.

Natman

Re: Desperately Need of Assembly Help!

Post by Natman »

No takers?

Bob

Post by Bob »

Your pictures did not come through, so it's hard to see what you're talking about.
Whenever I misplace something my wife tells me where to look, and it's there!
It sounds like a fairly large part that's missing. Was it stored in an area where there are lots of other items?
This reminds me of a time when a friend of mine took his entire planer apart, then gave me several boxes of parts to re-assemble.
Have you checked back with your "third party"?
Where are you located?
Just how "apart" is this?
Would you post a picture of all the cnc parts you have?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Natman

Post by Natman »

Thanks Bob, not sure what happened to my photos but after searching I found someone else's post with good pics here:

I am missing 2 of the black plastic rails which secure the back panel to the horizontal guide rods of the gantry.

One is just square (as seen on the top rail towards the back) and the bottom one has a thinner portion to allow the bearing 'block' to slide on the rod (just like in the foreground of the top rail but it's turned 90 degrees).

When I contacted Nextwave they offered to sell me a whole new gantry but I have a hard time believing these parts are hard to get??

Sadly I got screwed by the the third party who is an acquaintance of a friend who owns a CNC shop. They stashed my disassembled machine in a pile of other parts all this time and swear they can't find what's missing... :roll: I haven't stopped pestering them but they are showing little interest in making this right! I'm located in Montreal, Canada FWIW.

Bob

Post by Bob »

The best solution I can think of, is to work with Next Wave. They are the best source of parts that you need.

Another thought...If the machine can be made functional without the supports, can you make replacement supports from HDPE plastic? Or, Could they be made using conventional woodworking tools?

I have a lot of questions about your situation...but, they would serve no purpose.

How far have you progressed with the re-assembly?

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)