Dust collection ductwork?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mvgossman

Dust collection ductwork?

Post by mvgossman »

I've got a Shark 520, and purchased the dust collector attachment. I purchased an adaptor to go from its 2-1/2" or so hole to a 4" dust collector system (Dustright). The problem I'm seeing is that the heavy vinyl 4" vacuum hose is too heavy to drag without it popping out of the dust collector on the router.

Has anyone addressed this issue going to a 4" dust collection system so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? I us a quick connect system to go to the various dust generating tools in the shop, so I'm picturing a quick connect attached to the Shark's bench, a segment of relatively short and light 4" ductwork going up and over the gantry. This would require something to help support even that, though. I could also get a 4" to 2-1/4 adaptor and a segment of vacuum that's light enough to not make it drag. Or, I could find a 2-1/2" hose that works with one of my portable shop-vacs.

Help!

ffloyd

Re: Dust collection ductwork?

Post by ffloyd »

I have had my HD520 for about 2 years now. During that time, I've gone through some changes. Here is the history.
When I first set up the CNC, I got the NWCNC dust boot. I found the 2-1/2" tubing and the appropriate adapters to connect it to my Oneida Dust Collection system. This worked sort of OK. This was my only experience with this machine and just accepted the dust collection which picked up a portion of the chips and dust.

Recently, I got the 4th Axis and worked with that through a few projects and noticed that chips were all over everything. As a short term solution, I fashioned two vertical panels that could be clamped on either side of the rotary system.. This kept the dust in a smaller area. The nature of the rotary attachment doesn't really allow the dust boot to get close enough to do any good at all. Even though my dust collection system has 5-inch ducting and a 3hp motor, dust collection was sub par I should also note that with the 4th Axis, I had to raise the gantry to the middle position (about 1 inch higher. Now the dust boot came no where near the table or 4th axis.

So, I did some research to see what other folks have done. I quickly realized that one of the main problems was that the dust boot attached to the spindle bracket which means that it isn't adjustable for using a longer bit. Chris at Klingspor had an HD520 a couple of years ago and quickly realized that dust collection could be better. He used a dust boot from kentcnc,com. This unit was different in two ways. First, the unit attached directly to the spindle which allows the dust skirt to be much lower. This enabled much better seal and seemed to corral the chips. Secondly, it has a 4-inch pickup. Being somewhat desperate to find a solution, I purchased one of these. Note that they are not cheap, but VERY well made. As an option, spacers can be purchased to increase the reach of the dust boot. Each spacer adds about 1/2 inch and multiple spacers can be used.

If you are interested here is a link to the referenced video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qrvuYO7Al8.

I found that this dust boot is very effective at chip collection. My first job was a 5-1/2 hour 3D project that had generated a lot of mess before installing the new dust boot. I was blown away at the strength of suction when using a 4-inch pickup as compared to the 2-1/2 dust port. The new dust boot picked up nearly 100% of chips and dust The KentCNC.com dust boot is a "keeper". I added a quick connect as was done in the video. The 10 feet of 4" hose came from Amazon. I have a strap coming down from the shop ceiling atrtached to a bungee cord . That seems to keep the hose off the table. I am still trying things to make that better.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5

markjonesranger

Post by markjonesranger »

I tried various methods of dust collection and they all ended with a end result dust in my shop.

I found a foam box that sits over the top of the shark keeps all the dust inside the box and helps with the noise. 2 windows provide easy viewing of the cutting. A 4" dust port pulls the dusty air out to the Onedia cyclone. No more dust anywhere in my shop with this setup. Foam box can be tilted up on either end to allow full access to the table for screws and pin nails. Been using it now for little under 3 years. Works great. No fine dust to be found anywhere in my shop.

I have not seen any brush or attachment that does as well as this box setup does. Watching hundreds of videos on youtube has shown me that even with the most powerful vac when it comes to a edge it will spew dust out between the bristles to land in the shop and my lungs.

Miller Scottish

Post by Miller Scottish »

I'd try a 4" to 2-1/4" adaptor with a lighter vacuum hose that works with one of your shop-vacs. With a piece of light 4" piping, you could also connect a quick-connect system to the Shark's bench.