Having a problem after update..

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

astriapo

Having a problem after update..

Post by astriapo »

I installed the new version CNCSharkBasicPanel-1.4.0.10, loaded up a carving and the whammo.. everything is off. The router carves where it wants, no matter where I set the 0 points. When I click goto 0,0,0 it goes to different locations. Cut right through a clap before I could shut it off. It worked great before, but now I can't get it to work right. :(

Please help

I'm using Windows 7 on an Acer laptop..

Thanks.
-George

astriapo

Re: Having a problem after update..

Post by astriapo »

Ok. I loaded an old carving and it worked. So, I then went back to the current carving and checked all the settings. I found that I had not set it to start at the center, but in the lower left. I re-did all the paths and it carved on top of itself. First it did some letters, then part of the drawing, then drew over the letters. Humph!

Also, even if it was thinking I started it on the left, when you tell it to goto 0,0,0 it skipped past center by about 3 inches.. Not sure whats going on with this one...

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

I am having trouble following what you are saying.
If you set the 0 0 0 position and then carved something and assuming you didnt hit anything when it finished the program and you touched move to 0 0 0 did it go back to the start postion where you set 0 0 0?

Tim

astriapo

Post by astriapo »

Nope. It moved about 3 inches further than the o,o,o position.

I'm going to try again, this time under a different render of the paths. (I turned the picture 90 degrees). I will post back with a more descriptive reply, then. I went back and reread those posts and I agree. I couldn't follow it either.. lol..

Thanks for the reply, though.

astriapo

Post by astriapo »

I think I solved the problem.

OK, Here is a photo of the center of the board and where the work was being carved (facebook):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =632701099

Then I looked at the tool paths and noticed they were starting away from center:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =632701099

I found a nasty little bugger checked of in the work setup:

Use Origin Offset.

I don't remember clicking it, but after un-checking it, then re-centering the work, recalculating all paths and saving.. It looks like it might work. I'm off to try again.. lol

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Oh, a PBCAC.

I've been down that path myself more than once. Glad you got it sorted out!

Ed

For those wondering.....PBCAC = Problem Between Chair And Computer......

astriapo

Post by astriapo »

I really must apologize. Its all new to me, lol.. I kind of jumped the gun when things went haywire and blamed it on the update. It was user error. I just finished carving that plaque and it almost all went well...

I have my CNC clamped to a cart. When the machine tried to move back to do the cut out, my clamps stopped it. Carving is ok, just had to trim the edges a bit. :) I'll post photos after I sand on it some and try to get the sap off of it. This board is at least 70 years old and there is a line of sap in the carving that I thought was going to stop the router from spinning. :mrgreen:

Just out of curiosity, in what application would you use the Use Origin Offset setting?

George