Setting the starting point on project

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Wood_sander_master

Setting the starting point on project

Post by Wood_sander_master »

I have completed my drawing, got the tool path calculated, and all ready to go. But everytime I upload my G-code and start cutting, the router just goes way off the path and not the center of my wood. Even though I manually set my starting point before I started cutting. Any one know a solution? I am just beginning and I do not know much about this program. Thanks!

4DThinker

Re: Setting the starting point on project

Post by 4DThinker »

You need to check where the origin (0,0) point is in VCarve, and match that when you zero out each axis on the board. If your origin is in the center of your material in VCarve, then the center of the bit should be moved to the center of the real board you are cutting, then set X and Y to zero. Use the touch plate to set Z to the top of your board. You should have set it there in the material setup of VCarve. Make sure there isn't an offset checked.

I often get drawings from students that are done in Rhino or Autocad, and not drawn anywhere near 0,0,0 when opened/imported. They'll appear centered in my material in VCarve, but the grey crosshairs will be offset several inches (usually) down and to the left. Trying to cut such a file on the Shark would be impossible as you can't zero out the bit to the same relative origin position in the drawing.

Yes, it can be confusing. Hope this helps though.

4D

Wood_sander_master

Re: Setting the starting point on project

Post by Wood_sander_master »

Thank you so much! That was exactly my problem! And if I have any other problems, I will just ask for help! I appreciate it! :D :D