Pro to HD upgrades

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

FixitMike

Re: Pro to HD upgrades

Post by FixitMike »

Bob: I used 1/2 x 6 x 6 angles for the Y axis upgrade as you observed. It may not be obvious from the photos, but the Y axis shafts are fastened to the bottom plate at the center only. I used the existing holes in the end plates to locate the shaft. I drilled them all the way through so I wouldn't have to shorten the shafts. The Y axis travel is reduced about 2" as a result, but it won't affect anything I'm likely to do. I omitted using any additional connections to the bottom plate since with the 1/2 x 2" aluminum bar added to the shaft assembly, it is much, much, stiffer than the plate. The only thing additional connections would accomplish would be to reduce deflection in the plate itself, which I feel is inconsequential as far as gantry accuracy is concerned.

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

I think there's enough info here to warrant bringing it back to the top and I encourage anyone with a Shark to read through the pages, several times.

I have the HD model but still feel there are improvements and modifications that can be made so I've decided to tackle them all at once.
I'll be modifying the X & Y rails to strengthen and lengthen the table plus allow for cutting dovetails. I'm also modifying Bobs 4th axis to allow me to engrave pieces any length between the Y axis, up to about 6" diameter, by removing the dead end coupler . My modification to Bobs design will also let me manually rotate the piece 10 degrees so I can easily place carvings where I want on it without changing Zero. I'll also be replacing all of the plastic pieces with aluminum and the Z axis will be completely redesigned.

It's been a good starter machine but after studying designs and all of the associated problems with CNC's daily for the last two years it doesn't fill my needs anymore. After upgrading to Aspire I need to upgrade my machine as well. Design time has dramatically decreased but my machining time hasn't.
I'm currently purchasing and making pieces/parts and after my Christmas wish list is complete, I plan to dissect the Shark.

Many thanks to all that have contributed in their quest for improvement.

I'm glad this is only a hobby.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

gjf1947

Post by gjf1947 »

Can you share the program file for the side and back plates? I am interested in upgrading my Pro.

Thanks,

cybertinman

Post by cybertinman »

Bob I was wondering if I can get the files? I would love to make my pro plus into the awesome machine you have.
Thanks

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

There are 3 parts that are needed for the x axis conversion.
They are a center plate, a left side, and a right side for the z axis "box"
The original top, bottom, and z axis rods are retained and attached to these three parts.

Here is the dxf for the center plate, along with a picture of what the cut part looks like in vectric.
the sides will follow in two more posts.
this is rev 4, published for non -commercial use.
feel free to pm with any questions.
new shark z center plate hdpe r4.dxf
center plate for fully supported x bearing mod
(30.54 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
picture of center plate
picture of center plate

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

This is the right side plate.
dxf file and picture attached below.

I probably should mention that if you want a really good fit to the recessed slot, you need to measure the actual thickness of your material. You can adjust the width of the slot by changing the diameter of the cutter slightly before generating a tool-path. So if your slot turns out a little narrower than your stock, repeat the cut using a slightly smaller tool diameter, and you can fine tune the slot size that way, rather than redrawing the slot a few thousandths larger. For the slot, every .001 taken off of the diameter of the tool makes the slot .001 wider. An easy way to fine tune sizes almost on the fly.
new shark hdpe z right side R4.dxf
right side plate for x axis fully supported bearing mod
(35.81 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
picture of right side plate
picture of right side plate
Last edited by rungemach on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

This is the dxf file for the left side plate.
new shark hdpe z left side r4.dxf
left side plate for x axis fully supported bearing mod
(31.23 KiB) Downloaded 687 times
picture of left side plate
picture of left side plate

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thank you Bob,
I currently have no plans to upgrade my Shark...but you never know.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Twohleb

Post by Twohleb »

Thank you all for the info. Going to start my upgrade soon. Will post pictures when complete.

Twohleb

Post by Twohleb »

Rungemach could you also post the files for the y axis? I know you said to pm you but I am a new user and have not had that feature enabled yet. Already ordered the parts and I am excited for the upgrade