SHARK CONTROL PANEL

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hsmith34

SHARK CONTROL PANEL

Post by hsmith34 »

I have loaded all the software in the order listed to two computers, a laptop I will use with the SHARK, and my desktop where most of my design work will be done. When I try to open the SHARK CONTROL PANEL on either computer I get a "Stick-up" saying it can't open because it can't find "winusb.dll". I have searched the web and even down loadwd a WINDOWS FIX PROGRAM, but still no "winusb.dll"

I need help finding this file so it can be loaded.

THANKS

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: SHARK CONTROL PANEL

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi -You may want to try re-installing the Shark Control Panel software, but this time right click on the installer and select 'Run as Administrator'. There are some other tips/steps described in the Shark Owner's Manual (download from the NWA Downloads page).

This thread is a little old - http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=443&p=3805, but describes how a few users 'found' the dll on the web and manually installed it. I can't speak to whether this will work for you or not. I'm assuming that both of your computers are using Windows7. If either or both of these are older computers and/or WinXP, you may also want to ensure that they are in fact usb 2.0 capable. In the case of WinXP, you should run Microsoft Update until you've installed all important updates and hardware drivers. I have seen failures in this aspect with XP when the OS has not been updated.

drueth

Post by drueth »

Hsmith34

If you are running Windows XP and have Norton AV You must disable Norton and reinstall the program. Norton is blocking it.

Dave Rueth
newbe Shark Pro HD
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

hsmith34

Post by hsmith34 »

Well, kick me and call me stupid. My problem with the missing "DLL" file was resolved by info I got from Microsoft. It seems that that particular file, "winusb.dll" is resident on software in the SHARK controller. So the controller has to be hooked up to the computer to open the control panel. I thought I read in the instruction manual not to connect the USB cable until after you open the control panel. STUPID isn't strong enough word to make up for 4 days of trying to do the impossible.

Thanks to all who tried to help. I'm up and running now.

Howard

Ausworkshop

Post by Ausworkshop »

Yes that is a common mistake. I wasted hours on that one too. I was trying to get a computer in my house ready to use as a spare for the workshop and had the exact same problem. The cnc shark instructions could be a little clearer to save us all wasting so much time.
“It’s not that I’m so smart,
it’s just that I stay with problems longer.“
Albert Einstein

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

It sounds like the Shark 'manual' you are referring to is the old handful of pieces of paper that used to be shipped with the Shark. I don't know if those are still being shipped with the Shark, but for new and existing owners, a much more complete manual is available from the NWA Downloads page. This newer and more comprehensive manual has you connecting the Shark Control Box via USB, and turning it on, before opening the Shark Control Panel the first time.

mdcavanaugh

Post by mdcavanaugh »

Well I'm having the exact same problem and after reading this post I drove to my business with my laptop all excited, plugged it in and same error message. MISSING DLL but I'm only at two wasted days so I should consider myself lucky I guess. :cry:

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Separate thread has you finding a solution - following up here for historical reference. If you get to the point of missing dll, uninstall, re-install, and when you plug in the USB to the control box, follow steps found on page 52-53 of the Shark Owners Manual. The manual certainly may not cover everything, but it covers a lot, and for XP/Vista/Win7 cases. Not sure if NWA/Rockler are shipping this either electronically or in hard copy, but for any new user who is about to set theirs up, well worth a review (lots of pictures as well).