Losing X-axis reference

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bill

Losing X-axis reference

Post by Bill »

I am having a problem with losing the X-axis reference during routing because the lead screw shaft
is slipping at coupler between the X-axis stepper motor and the X-axis lead screw. X-axis motion seems to work OK without the load of pushing the router through wood. When the coupler is connected, the motor shaft only extends 1/8 inch into the coupler. This results in the set screw only sitting on part of the shaft and not securely on the machined flat surface of the motor shaft.
If the coupler is placed fully on the motor shaft so the set screw makes a secure connection to the shaft, the set screw on the lead screw does not sit on it's respective machined flat surface because the lead screw has a shoulder at the end of the shaft. Tightening the set screw on this round part of the lead screw shaft results in the same problem. I have not pulled the lead screw closer to the motor for fear of it falling out of it's bearing at the other end during operation.
It appears the coupler needs to be about 1 inch in length instead of it's current 3/4 inch, or maybe I just need an alignment procedure that is not obvious to me at this time. Any help or suggestions at this time would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Ex