New Shark Pro Plus Table Top

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

wwoodworks

New Shark Pro Plus Table Top

Post by wwoodworks »

I want to share my experience upgrading my Shark Pro Plus table. The factory table was just too flimsy, especially when clamping down heavier pieces of hard woods
so I built a new one. This one is 1" thick extrusions each 2" wide. The extrusions are bolted down to a 5/8 x 3/4 aluminum bar that is bolted to the black composite chassis.
I used 30 bolts on each side. This table is a vast improvement from the original. It took way more time than I had planned and I had to work thru some issues so if anyone is interested
I will write a post of what materials I used and some of the pitfalls to avoid.
Attachments
New Table Top
New Table Top
New Table Top
New Table Top

wwoodworks

Re: New Shark Pro Plus Table Top

Post by wwoodworks »

Here are 2 more photos
Attachments
DSC01273.JPG
DSC01276.JPG

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Looks good. I did mine with 8020 table top also.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

Hello everyone. I have completed a document that describes in detail the methods and materials that I used to build the table posted in this topic.
Please see the attached.
Attachments
Shark Table.pdf
(6.96 MiB) Downloaded 504 times

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

FWTW, 8020 makes the same extrusion in 1x3 size. I used 10 pcs on my table for the 24x24 shark.

Since the factory tables can be out of alignment, I used aluminum angle with slotted holes to be able to adjust the corners up and down before a final tightening. Then put microadjuster bolts at the corners to hold the mounting bars in place while adjusting the table heights.

The 1 x 3 sections allow you to put 1x2 wood slats over the top as a sacrificial surface bolted down to the aluminum in several spots along the length, thus locking the adjacent aluminum extrusions together and also keeping the center channel in the aluminum open for clamping. The 1x2 can then be planed with the router to give you a coplanar surface. You can then use the router to put .25 inch holes for work locating pins in the slats. Pictured below.

This thread may be of interest to you.

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=10

Bob
Attachments
slatted table top showing reference holes for pins
slatted table top showing reference holes for pins

wwoodworks

Post by wwoodworks »

Very clever Bob, your engineering skills are still shining.
Wayne