LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

dalet51

LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Post by dalet51 »

Interested in getting a cnc to do signs, inlays. I understand this is a shark site, so it might be bias toward that machine. But what should I be looking for in a machine. Which is a good machine to start with. What are the differences in the machines as the prices rise. Any thought would be appreciated.

Eagle55

Re: LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Post by Eagle55 »

There will be all kinds of advice pop up. You are right that this is a Shark site so most everyone here is going to have one or they wouldn't likely be here or stay around. Also many, if not most, of the people here are only going to have experience with a Shark and little else in the CNC field. I am in that category. I have been using mine for about 3 1/2 years and love it. It is not without its faults but I think that is going to be the same for any machine. I do think that there are some problems that could have been solved before now but that's a whole different discussion. Things you need to consider are things like is the machine big enough... the Shark HD or whatever the "big" machine is, is the only one that I would recommend buying these days and it is limited to a 25"x25" cutting area. Larger signs can be done in multiple "tile" by moving the material down and cutting another section. If I had it to do all over again, would I buy the Shark?? I tend to think I would although if I had more money I might go for a machine with stronger materials using more metal and steel as opposed to HDP plastic frame work. But again, I didn't have 4 or 5,000 more to spend so I would be right back where I am with the Shark. The Axiom that Rockler is beginning to sell is about the same price and possibly looks like a better machine but I don't think it comes with the software so you are again going to be about another $1000 before you have the same package as the Shark. If I could do it, I would certainly look at that approach. I don't know if they have a forum like this for the Axiom machine. I suspect if they don't they soon will but then if it is a totally new machine the users will not have much experience which will put you at a little disadvantage which I consider to be a big thing for the Shark. The Shark Forum is a tremendous place to get ideas, answers, help, advice etc. Without it, I think I would not like the Shark as well as I do. Everyone isn't always knowledgeable and sometimes you get some less than optimum advise but as a whole there are one of the most fantastic "community of people" that you could hope to find and an extensive user knowledge base to draw from and some very extensive range of backgrounds of people that are really sincere and willing to help. I think the Shark will do what you want to do. Yes other machines could do better but I don't think you will find one for the same money. I would spend as much as you could afford and check out all feature.... one of which is factory support vs forum support. You kind of need both but the forum is a great resource in my opinion.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

The main asset and advantage of the Shark line is that they come with VCarve and Cut3D. They also come with control software that runs on a Windows PC and uses a USB port to connect to the controller box.

I also have experience with CNCs running LinuxCNC for a controller and like it better than the proprietary Shark control software, but both get the job done. Had to learn a bit about Linux and control over a parallel port, but my Vcarve License and experience was the key that lets me toolpath for nearly any CNC out there.

The historic mechanical weaknesses of the Sharks are mostly resolved on new models now. The t-track sections now link together to act as one slab. The gantry backplate is now a 3/8" thick aluminum plate. They have revised their router clamp to work better, but it is still HDPE (plastic) and I strongly recommend the aluminum replacement you can get from a 3rd source.

The long promised 4th axis is now available and shipping. I bought my Shark when they were first advertised through Rockler. I've since updated to their new control box and replaced my MDF bed with t-track, and my Shark Pro still hums along. Weaknesses still include no limit switches, but once you know where your router can't go that stops being a problem.

Any CNC you get could probably make signs and inlays. The key is in the software (VCarve). When you compare prices of different machines, don't forget how valuable this tool pathing software is. If they don't include it in their price you'll be buying it anyway. It comes with the Sharks.

bcheary

Post by bcheary »

I am new to the forum and the responses to the initial post provided some good information. I am new to the forum and considering investing in an Rockler CNC Machine. Before I do so, I would like to see if someone out there could take a few minutes and provide some brief answers to a couple of additional questions.
1. In addition to the machine and software, what are other recommendations for initial equipment purchase? Different bits? Vacuum attachment?
2. While my objective is to use the machine for personal projects, I would like to explore making projects to generate a little money on the side. Can anyone provide suggestions/guidance as to best marketing practices and potential places to sell products? E-bay? Craigslist? Online store? I’m not looking to take over the world, just make a little money on the side.
3. Any other suggestions regarding initial purchase, set up, and learning is much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,

BC

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

bcheary wrote:I am new to the forum and the responses to the initial post provided some good information. I am new to the forum and considering investing in an Rockler CNC Machine. Before I do so, I would like to see if someone out there could take a few minutes and provide some brief answers to a couple of additional questions.
1. In addition to the machine and software, what are other recommendations for initial equipment purchase? Different bits? Vacuum attachment?
2. While my objective is to use the machine for personal projects, I would like to explore making projects to generate a little money on the side. Can anyone provide suggestions/guidance as to best marketing practices and potential places to sell products? E-bay? Craigslist? Online store? I’m not looking to take over the world, just make a little money on the side.
3. Any other suggestions regarding initial purchase, set up, and learning is much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,

BC
Hi BC,

I can't answer all your question but a can say that as for additional bits, I'd purchase a couple of end mills, a 1/4 inch and a 1/2 inch. You'll use them quite a bit. If you plan on cutting out 3D images then you'll need a 1/8 inch ball nose bit also. I bought a set of 4 from Precise Bits, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4, and use them often. If you don't buy the set I'd purchase the 1/8 bit as well as a 1/4 inch bit. The smaller of the two will give you a cleaner looking finish, where the larger will be faster cutting, but the finish will generally be a bit rougher.

I don't have a vacuum attachment. I know several people here do, but I find I don't need one. I use clamps from Rockler and they hold my work well enough.

If you don't have a computer then you'll need one. I have a Dell 7000 series and it's much faster than the Toshiba I originally bought, but about $400 more too. New computers, most of them anyway, don't come with a DVD/CDRom, so you may have to purchase an external one to install the software via a disk.

With that you should be ready to go. Hope this helps and I'm sure the guys with more expertise can give you more advise than I can. I've been at this for about a year and a half now and I'm still learning.
Rick