HD5 or HD4

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rlstemm

HD5 or HD4

Post by rlstemm »

Future buying of CNC looking for information about shark HD5 is it a great improvement over HD4 and deciding on standard bed or extended. Thank ahead of time for any input. With little experience Trying to decide which would best keep option open for future projects.

tonydude

Re: HD5 or HD4

Post by tonydude »

I would go with the HD 5, big improvement over the HD 4 here is info https://www.rockler.com/cnc-shark-hd5-with-extended-bed

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I agree with Tony for what it's worth. I've seen an HD5 and there are significant improvements over the HD4. While over the years these increments have been somewhat incremental at times, the HD5 introduces a couple significant changes - particularly in the gantry construction and rails.

As far as the extended bed - if you think you're routinely going over 25" of cutting length/width (depending on your viewpoint) - then the extended bed may be a better purchase. If you're potentially going over that length and go with the regular one - the VCarve software does support a tiling workflow - you can move a longer piece along the table between jobs and get fairly good results with practice and by paying attention.

At the same token, a lot of folks on this forum still using a Shark - ie white control box - and creating some wonderful projects. So if that $400 difference (at least that's what it looks like on the Rockler site right now) is too much, you will be happy with the HD4.

bill z

Post by bill z »

as the new technology and abilities increase, the support for the old stuff decreases. I have a much older shark that works for me just fine but I can not expect nor do I receive any support from NWA.

Go with the newer HD5 for future support reasons.

About bed length; just how large a bed will work comfortable in your work area? Like jeb2cav said, the software will allow you to make pieces many many feet long if desired, but their is some hassle.

Tell us what you decided on and welcome!

rlstemm

Post by rlstemm »

Thanks everyone for the info on the hd5 still have not been able to find one in a store near by to see the unit first hand.

ffloyd

Post by ffloyd »

I purchased a Shark Pro Plus back in 2009. Since that time, I have added the touch plate. The controller box failed about 2 years ago and would no longer connect to the CNC. The support from NextWaveCNC has been excellent in my opinion. I ended up getting the HD4 controller and pendant to get things running again. For folks with an eye toward improvement of the Pro Plus, the upgraded controller has made the system much easier to use.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5