I think bearings are going or gone

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

misterx

I think bearings are going or gone

Post by misterx »

Hi everyone, I am hearing these crunchy noises and a little jerky ness when the gantry gets up close to the front of the CNC. That is where I do most of my work about 12 to 18 inches from the front of the bed. I’ve been doing a lot of 3D stuff and It’s been doing some gouging and weird cutting. I don’t know if it’s because of that or static. I have my shark in an enclosure and had the control box on top of the enclosure. On my other HD3 I did the same thing and was getting a lot of static and screw up’s, then moved the control box to under the enclosureg and it seems to have doing a lot better. I’ve had it for 9 years and have only had to replace a card or two in the control box because of static I just did the same to this machine (moved the control box) and after doing that and cleaning it all up I noticed the noises and movement in the gantry. Has this happened to anyone else? What do I have to do to fix it? Is there any videos that can show me what to do? Thanks Tim
PS I tried to share a video of it but it said it was to big wow it’s only 39.5 MB

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0BSN9V0 ... North_Side

Rando

Re: I think bearings are going or gone

Post by Rando »

MixterX:

Definitely clean the leadscrew if there is wood dust on it, lubricate, etc. I attach an old toothbrush to a piece of square wood/tubing using just tape,
and that works well to clean off the leadscrew if you jog the mechanism back and forth. Then clean the brush, apply lube to the bristles, and let it
ride of the leadscrew to lube it.

If that doesn't fix it, and you hear it happening only when it gets close to the motor, try loosening the four screws that hold the stepper motor on,
so that it's still attached, but can move somewhat freely. Then jog the gantry over to near the stepper, and THEN re-tighten the bolts that hold the
motor on. There have been very rare accounts of the motor being out of alignment, and eventually BREAKING the end of the leadscrew! :o That's
a very much non-good thing, so if the noise is coming from the motor having non-concentric alignment issues, that might help line it up better.
Better safe than a major repair to replace the leadscrew!

And yeah, funny how the cameras and video sizes have far outpaced the "services" to hold them. It's not just this forum either :roll:

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)