Carving and surface finish

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

KarenW

Re: Carving and surface finish

Post by KarenW »

I haven't even thought about starting 3D yet so this information is way over my head right now but I can appreciate the knowledge you've shared and have bookmarked this thread for future reference.
Karen

BillK

Post by BillK »

Thanks everybody for you comments. I originally posted this last June. Guess it just got revived.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

BillK

Post by BillK »

This is another chart that I use for reference on occasion. It will show you quickly time differenced between the three common sized ball end mills and the differences between step over % with each end mill.

The step is calculated based on the step over percent and the diameter. The height is also calculated. The number of passes is then shown to machine one inch. For each size there is a comparision to a nominal step height of .00031, which most have found to be a good level of surface finish. The chart tells you the time increase decrease percentacge for change in step over. You can also compare the passes required for all tools at a specified step height.

Finally at the bottom is a picture that shows feature detail for each size ball. For the same size feature that in this case is .100" wide, you will get a variation in depth of cut for details in your carving.

Hope this chart helps you with your step over and tool size selection. Going unnecessarily too fine will add unneeded wear and tear to your machines and routers. Going too rough will sacrifice details in the carving.
3D carving chart.pdf
(210.92 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Can’t shit like this be stopped by screening who is allowed onto this forum. I may be wrong but I thought there was an authentication process to screen for spam bots. Certainly user names such as the one that posted the recent post, screams of spam.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Bob

Post by Bob »

You are right.
I never asked to be moderator, yet Rockler appointed Kayvon and me to moderate.
We have no power to block.
Rockler has the power to block.
Rockler does not respond to our requests.
All that a moderator can do is delete posts.
Today we have deleted over 200 posts that were generated within the last 24 hours.
It's hard to keep up with a bot.
Complain directly to Rockler.
We need your support, not your complaints.
Contact Rockler directly.
Rockler does not respond to me.
They might respond if enough of us let them know directly.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Thanks Bob for the reply. Please don’t take my ranting as an attack or complaint on your work. You and I go way back in the day… and I know the limits that are placed on you. Im sure it will be futile but I will call Rockler tomorrow. Someone , somewhere, has the ability to fix this situation. Rightfully it should be the moderators, but I understand that things aren’t always done rightfully. Maybe we can get the right persons attention to deal with this or let someone else who can and will

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thank you,
I appreciate your response.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I'm under the impression that Rockler doesn't want to give away access to remove user accounts. I get that -- we're total strangers to them. It's unfortunate that we can't just delete the offending account, but at least we can delete the messages that the spambot leaves. We have to delete each message individually. It's a pain.

As far as the authentication software, it's just the standard phpBB software that the forum uses. It's old and been out there long enough that I'm sure the spambots have circumvented it. Even if they hadn't, it's still not foolproof. There are these services where you sign up for your spambot to send its captcha images to and they'll respond with the correct code for 2/10ths of a cent for every image. Probably a crew of kids working in a computer sweatshop or something, I don't know, but it allows spambots to bypass many of the human checks that you see.

Short version: It doesn't stop the spambots.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I feel for the moderators and applaud all of the thankless work they do. I fault the people at Rockler or whoever holds the privilege of deleting accounts. They should entrust the moderators that they have appointed to be on the front line to do the task that needs to be done. (If they are not going to stay on top of it) I guess older forum software is much more primitive. I have been on forums that have had much more stringent requirements that required a discourse with the person requesting access and a person actually making a judgement call whether to accept the person) Guess thats a dream world but I think they could do better about policing the obvious offenders once they start their blatant abuse. I don’t want to get off the forum even though its been years since I was more active but I would like to think I still have experience to share after 11 years with my Shark HD, even though I will soon be starting up my Axiom 2’x4’ carver soon.