60th Anniversary Model

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pjblues

60th Anniversary Model

Post by pjblues »

Does anyone know if you can purchase the Shark from the factory direct any cheaper than through a distributor? I just found out I live about an hour and a half from the company. It would be nice to get some type of discount, perhaps year-end, academic, whatever. I am currently being quoted $4,000 through a distributor. I know that I will need more than just the machine to get started. Is another $1,000 a fair assumption of everything else needed?

Thanks.

woodwkr57

Re: 60th Anniversary Model

Post by woodwkr57 »

Hi PJ,

No you cannot get the 60th anniversary machine for any less. It includes nearly $400 in accessories that you would have ended up buying anyway so it's a pretty good value. As for additional things you will need, a Router, I'd recommend the PC 890 which you can buy from Home Depot online for around $180, some bits but this depends on what you intend to make. It comes with a V-bit for making signs, but you would do well to get a spiral bit, 1/4" works well if your cutting out items, and if you want to do 3d carving a 1/8" tapered ball nose bit is best. Maybe a couple more clamps, and of course if you don't have a computer you'll need one of those. I'd recommend you check locally for a place that refurbishes Laptops, it doesn't take a real powerful one to run the software. I bought mine for $100 3 years ago and it's worked great. Hope this helps, you'll want to move fast on the 60th anniversary as they are a limited quantity item and you wouldn't want to miss out on the free goods!!!

pjblues

Post by pjblues »

Thanks so much, I appreciate your insight. I think I understand that the 60th anniversary model takes both 1/4 and 1/2" router bits? I am not in to making signs but instead doing wide pocket routing, 3D objects, and other basic prototyping. I am assuming I can purchase the router bits you referenced at a Lowe's or Home Depot type store or perhaps a Rockler?

Thanks again for your help. I do like your Porter Cable router recommendation. I will have to get a cheap laptop since I am a Mac person. :D

woodwkr57

Post by woodwkr57 »

Actually, you can find bits on Amazon the easiest or even Nextwaves website. (fyi, it is the router collet that determines the bit size and the PC comes with both collets) I like Amana or whiteside bits. HAVE FUN!!!

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Look for a local company for bits. It makes it convenient when you need that bit right now and don't have time to wait plus the selection is very limited at lowes and HD. I found one about 15 minutes from me that sells router bits and saw blades. They carry mainly whiteside and I can buy 2 for what one costs at the box stores you mentioned and they are better quality and last longer for me. They will also sharpen them for you but I get them so cheap, it isn't worth the trouble. You might even consider some of the bits at harbor freight to get you started. They are cheap and will work fine to get to learn the machine so you don't burn up expensive bits. Just stick with one or two to get started until you learn which bits you really need. Otherwise you end up with several bits that you never use.

$1000 is probably high depending on whether you need a laptop or not. A cheap one like suggested earlier will do the job just fine. I don't remember if that model comes with a dust boot. If not that would be one of the first things that I would buy unless I was building an enclosure. They get messy and if you ever work with MDF you will be sorry if you don't have some dust control.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi PJ,
You may wish to consider an upgrade to Aspire if you expect to do 3D work. It is a pretty good CAD program but not inexpensive.
Good luck,
Ed

pjblues

Post by pjblues »

Wow, thanks so much for the help. I am a retiree that can use all the help he can get. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the accessories as well.

MarkCoers

Post by MarkCoers »

I guess I am a little late here, but how has it gone for you, pj?

Has the 60th Anniversary model held up well, and have you been able to get things figured out?

I've had mine since January of 2015, but wasn't really able to start working with it until August of 2015.

There is one continuous problem that I have had, regarding X-axis T-Nut wear, and one very severe problem that I had, which totally stumped the NextWave techs.
They kind of left me hanging on that problem, but I figured it out on my own. :(

Luckily, I did figure it out, after ruining several slabs of oak, while trying to make some 3d pieces. Overall, though... I think I finally have things figured out, and I am hoping that you did as well.

Thanks,

Mark

Bob

Post by Bob »

Mark,
I would be interested in having you describe what your problem was, and what you did to solve it.
Thanks,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

MarkCoers

Post by MarkCoers »

Hi again, Bob,

The machine would be in the middle of a rough carve.
The z-axis would lift the router to move to another location.

Then, within this process, the x-axis may move to the right anywhere from 1.5" to .25" from where it was supposed to land.

Therefore, the entire x-axis would be off and cut into sections that it wasn't supposed to cut - sometimes even traveling off of the end of the board.

When this motion occurred, it would almost appear to bind and made a noise that I can't really describe.

It was terrible. I was left with several pieces of scrap.

I actually called and spoke with several Nextwave techs. They would get stumped, then pass me off to another tech, until eventually there was no communication.

I have video somewhere of the entire process. I emailed that to them to no avail. I thought it may be the x-axis screw. They assured me it was not.

HERE is the solution to the problem, if it ever happens. It took me, on my own, to figure it out... and if you need the video, I can search it out at some point.

It IS the plastic x-axis t-nut bushing!

I go through one about every 4 - 8 months. So, I keep a few on hand. They are expensive, and Nextwave drills you pretty hard on the shipping a very small and very lightweight piece.

Also, they never get the part number correct. Therefore, I will look that up for you. I've received more incorrect bushings than correct bushings, but now finally have the correct part number. ---> Item # 202493 Piranha Roton 3/8"

A few side notes:
a.) I run my machine anywhere from 8 hours to sometimes 18 hours every single day - 7 days per week. I AVERAGE 12-13 hours of run time daily. I've been running at this rate for a little over 2 years now.
b.) I also use the Dupont lubricant that they recommend
c.) I only rough out at .017" increments. It takes much longer, but I'm trying to save strain on that x-axis bushing

I'll try to check back here more often. I'm beyond busy this time of year, and didn't know if this may be a dead thread... Hence, the delay in checking back.

Mark