Shark HD4 extended - how close to table should the bit be

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

amerifax

Shark HD4 extended - how close to table should the bit be

Post by amerifax »

Shark HD4 extended - how close to table should the bit be?
When adding the water cooled router that comes with the HD4 I'm to be 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the table. Is that from the bottom of the silver cylinder that is resting in the router holder or from the bottom of the bit holder?
Bob

WNC_Ed

Re: Shark HD4 extended - how close to table should the bit b

Post by WNC_Ed »

Not sure I follow your question.
The important part is that the bit is properly in the collet of the spindle.
Good video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilGmFnOrPh8

FYI - the Collet that came installed in my spindle was a 6mm with the 1/4" and 1/8" collets in little blue and yellow boxes.
1/4" bits will fit and tighten in the 6mm collet but life is easier if you use the correct collet for the bit your using.

Hope this helps.
Ed
Shark HD4 EB
Maker of Sawdust

amerifax

Post by amerifax »

Thanks for the quick response.
On the shark HD4 Extended it ships with a watercooled router that is encased in a polished aluminum sleeve. At the bottom of the sleeve is a place to secure a bit. This installs into what is called the router carriage. In the owner's manual on page 11 is the following instruction. Which I found to be a rather ambiguous.

CNC Shark HD4 Router Mounting
Install Router into Router Base by loosening the two horizontal bolts in front and sliding router in until the motor protrudes at least 1 1/2 inches below the clamp.
Note: The two horizontal bolts it's talking about are the Cowlitz that clamp around the router.

Ambiguous (until the motor protrudes at least 1 1/2 inches below the clamp)
1. The Routers Motor (silver sleeve) as the bottom.
2. The bottom of the bit holder.

I'm not trying to be picky but I sure don't want to make a mistake.
Bob

PS In case I spelled Cowlitz wrong they are the horizontal black clamps.

WNC_Ed

Post by WNC_Ed »

Bob,
Emailed with Next Wave today.
It was suggested that the water cooled spindle should be positioned at least 3/4" below the bottom of the lower clamp.
If you have the Next Wave or Rockler dust boot then you would position the end of the spindle at least 1/4" below the bottom of the mounted dust boot plate.
Great question and I am glad you asked, I had mine 1/4" too high.
When adjusting the height don't forget to loosen the 4 vertical bolts which will allow the clamps to loosen.
Hope this helps.
Ed
Shark HD4 EB
Maker of Sawdust

amerifax

Re: Shark HD4 extended - how close to table should the bit be

Post by amerifax »

Hi Ed. I had given up on my Shark. But today I'm back at it again trying to complete my setup. Yes, it's been 3 years with a box in the basement. The big problem I had was the book instructed losing up two HORIZONTAL BOLTS. Well, last week my son stopped and loosened up the 2 vertical bolts, also, and the router fell right in. I guess I must have missed your last post about the 4 bolts.
Bob