Lettering Problem - Help needed

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pj26

Re: Lettering Problem - Help needed

Post by pj26 »

Hello and thank you for your help -

I didn't get out to the shop yesterday, I needed to get some shopping and house chores done.

Attached is a photo of what I get on a practice piece of MDF.

I have checked and rechecked bit size, setting the z reference point using touch plate, measured the touch plate height and checked the set height of the pad in the program and all appears to be ok.

The lettering (to me) is too deep and this I believe is causing the letters to run together where there should be definite separation (as seen in Vcarve). Also the top line that is times roman does not have the sharp corners just rounded corners.

I don't think I am being too fussy only hoping to achieve near what I see in Vcarve's preview.

Thanks again,
Pete
Attachments
Lettering.jpg

TAW

Post by TAW »

For the KIE on top line = need to use the tool that lets you high lite the letter and with the space bar and/or shift key spread out those letters to get the space between them -I believe the icon has the ABC and a line under it- NOT the one with ABC for aligning with a curve.
And a shallower cut- should give you better letters.
60 degree v bit will work better then 90 degree. attached is 60 v bit at .12 deep in oak- clean lines
good luck TAW
Attachments
IMG_20190404_194921669.jpg

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Maybe it's the picture angle, but the bottom of your letters appears flat rather than V-shaped.

What does your bit look like? What type of V-bit are you using? It should have a sharp point at the bottom and a 60-degree or 90-degree angle that matches your VCarve tool profile.

pj26

Post by pj26 »

The bottom of all the letters are "V" shaped matching the 90 degree bit used.

It must be the lighting or angle the photo was taken that gives it a flat bottom look.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Does the angle of the V bit (60-degree or 90-degree, typically) matche your VCarve tool profile?

pj26

Post by pj26 »

Kayvon wrote:Does the angle of the V bit (60-degree or 90-degree, typically) matche your VCarve tool profile?

Yes it matches the tool profile. The width and depth of the cut is wider and deeper than is shown in Vcarve's preview.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Here are some links to V-carve Pro V-Carve/Engraving Toolpath Youtube videos that may help you solve your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGG0yTPih4w&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH6kkoDT3rM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sO3Nl3w7ao

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Unless the work material isn't flat and level, I'm not sure what it could be.

I haven't used the official touch plate, but I'd be tempted to try the path again with the Z origin intentionally set a little too high. You can lower it incrementally and try the cut again until it's where you like it.

When I finally took a moment to stop analyzing the technical nature of the cuts and read the message, I realized I should have offered my condolences sooner. I hope the family is coping well.

pj26

Post by pj26 »

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to help me.

I have viewed the recommended videos - they are very informative.

I have been working on the urn this last weekend so I will turn my attention to the engraving today and tomorrow.

I will post results and try your suggestions. I have learned a lot with your help and realize there is much more to learn.

Pete