Making Aluminum name plates and cutouts questions

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

misterx

Making Aluminum name plates and cutouts questions

Post by misterx »

Hi, I want to do some plaques and name plates made out of brass coated aluminum. I have never worked with aluminum before so this is new to me. The brass coated aluminum is .0415” thick. I’m not sure what toolpath to use for the engraving or what bit to use, could someone tell me which one’s to use. Then I want to cut it out and don’t know what bit to use for this ether or what depths to use. I know I can’t go to deep for the pass depth, but what do you all use for a pass depth, and what is the total depth of the engraving part? The parts are going to be just names and dates with a outside cutout of a shield or panel so it’s nothing to fancy. If I’m using inches in the my job setup can I use metric bits? I have a CNC Shark HD3 and a person I know has made some good looking name plates with his shark so I know it can be done. I am using Aspire. Could someone please help me to figure this out. Thanks Tim

TAW

Re: Making Aluminum name plates and cutouts questions

Post by TAW »

If you search this site for drag bit.....you should find info needed for what you are asking.
A drag bit is used to engrave on the plate you wish to make. As for size and shape of name plates, you may want to purchase the correct size before running on the shark...JMO

misterx

Post by misterx »

Thanks, that what I ended up using for the engraving, but was wondering what Bit people are using to do the cutout of aluminum and the tool settings. Like an 1/8” end mill, who makes a good one? Thanks again

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

zeighty

Post by zeighty »

You can cut aluminum easy enough. I use an up-cut 1/4" single flute end mill. Single flute is supposed to be the best. You do not want to use any more than 2 flute as the chips will bind and your cut will be off.
Also, some aluminum cuts/mills better than others. I use 6061-T651 and buy it in 12"x12"X1/4" sheets.