Z axis cut depth

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Cal Hunter

Z axis cut depth

Post by Cal Hunter »

The attached file is to cut 14 small crosses out of a Y= 5.5" x X=24" x Z=.5" piece of poplar. The depth of cut is intended to be
1st .125' deep
2nd .25"
3rd .375
4th .5
The first cut is .3125 (5/16) and it is too much for the machine. The last cut is very close to .5".
I have a second file that is doing a similar thing, taking a deeper cut that the file calls for.
Anyone able to offer help.
Thanks for you help!
Cal Hunter
Attachments
Cross 14 Up.tap
(611.07 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

Bob

Re: Z axis cut depth

Post by Bob »

Cal,
Would you post your crv file?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Cal Hunter

Post by Cal Hunter »

Need more help.
When I create the tool path file I "lose" the .crv file
So I don't have it. I can recreate it by starting over. Is that the best alternative?
Cal

Bob

Post by Bob »

When you close out VCarve, a message comes on the screen asking if you want to save your work, if you haven't already done so.
Select, Yes.
Remember, you're saving two files...the crv, and the tap.
Be sure to select a place to save your crv where you can find it again.
"Focus"

Cal Hunter

Post by Cal Hunter »

Bob
I created a new .crv and .tap file for the same project. I have attached them both.A similar thing is happening. With this .tap file the first cut is .5" deep rather than .375
Cal Hunter
Attachments
Cross 14 B.crv
(998 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Cross 14 Up.tap
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 257 times

Cal Hunter

Post by Cal Hunter »

My last response. .375 should be .125

nicksilva

Post by nicksilva »

your file indicates you've selected the BED as your Z origin with 1/2" material.
A positive cut of 0.375 from the bottom is minus 0.125" from the top so that is correct. ( Although I would never use the bed as the origin. ) what we can't see is where you've physically set the origin in the controller. Did you lower the end mill to the bed and save the value? That would be consistent for your design. Even if you use the shark touch plate from the bed, it will set it right. If you set it from the top of the material it will be wrong.

Bob

Post by Bob »

After looking at your file, my vote is that you designated Z0 to be set on the bed in your job setup, but you actually set it on the surface of your material for the cut.
Bob
"Focus"

Cal Hunter

Post by Cal Hunter »

Bob
On the machine I touch the tip of the bit on the spoil board and "Set" it at .000
In the file I have been setting the Start Depth at .0. After looking more closely at "D" I should be setting the start depth at .5. Correct?
Cal

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Bob
On the machine I touch the tip of the bit on the spoil board and "Set" it at .000
In the file I have been setting the Start Depth at .0. After looking more closely at "D" I should be setting the start depth at .5. Correct?
Cal
Nope!

An Example of 'D' :
Let's say you wanted to add text (V-Carve toolpath) to a sign which is recessed (carved out) .25 from the surface. The 'D' depth would be set to .25 so that when carving the text you will not be cutting air on the 1st pass of the V-Carve Toolpath. The 'F' depth for text does not necessarily need to be set because the depth is determined by the distance between vectors of the actual text being used.

Note: The 'F' depth can be utilized if you do not want the V bottom in your text lettering/characters. (Shown in text at bottom of image) Be sure to look closely at the bottoms of the text examples.
Optimized-V-carve text example.jpg

You must remember that the programming is designed so that you do not have to use reverse sicology (not sure how that is spelled). The setup is just that a 'setup' the program take cares of the rest.

Hope this Helps!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554