Vcarving jagged on each depth pass

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

GaryShaine

Vcarving jagged on each depth pass

Post by GaryShaine »

Hi!
I’m not sure if this is a software issue, tool setting issue, or machine issue. As I’m vcarving, I’m noticing that each depth pass, is leaving lines. I’d like to think that the angle of the overall cut would be determined by the depth of cut and angle of the v bit so that it keeps that smooth transition all the way down through the passes. I know I must be missing something here. Ihope I explained that correctly. Here’s a photo of what I mean.
Attachments
3529B711-3E61-4C20-9388-8F3F3FA9D329.jpeg

sharkcutup

Re: Vcarving jagged on each depth pass

Post by sharkcutup »

Is that a completed carving???

If so you do have problem which probably could be solved using a profile toolpath pass with the v-bit outside the vector for the characters.

If not, With the V-carve Toolpath you will see this all that at first but there is a cleanup pass goes around after all or most of the letters have been carved. You must let it complete the carving.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Bob

Post by Bob »

Gary,
Did you cut with a different angle bit than the one you specified in the design?
How does the preview look?
And, what Michael said...
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

GaryShaine

Post by GaryShaine »

Yep, that was the finished path. But, I think I did it wrong. I chose a pocket path & used my 60deg vbit as the main one along with a clearance end mill. So, it never did a finishing path.

So, to do this right, I would have needed to use the V-Carve tool path along with a clearance endmill and select the outer border along with the inside vector. That would have given me the same effect, but a better finish on that relief. (hopefully I said that right).

Would that be right? Thanks for the advice!

I think I need to revisit some of the VCarve tutorials.