New Spindle and HD520 - Spindle and/or XY Axis stops

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

andycollen

New Spindle and HD520 - Spindle and/or XY Axis stops

Post by andycollen »

Im a relative new user and after speed control module died on my porter cable router, I upgraded to the water cooled spindle sold by NWA. Since installing, I have not been able to run a full job without one of the following things happening:
- spindle stops spinning, but machine keeps running, dragging the router bit across my work ( :oops: ), hit stop button on pendant, XY axis resets to ZERO at its position when stop button pressed
- XY movement stops, percentage meter on pendent stays at stopped percentage, pendent still keeping timer running but no more code being sent, have to cut all power to stop spindle from runnning

For clarity, My CNC controller is v4.5.1.0 with boot loader b306 and Spindle Inverter/Control Box says ASR 1.0 and Ur 1.00
Also, prior to installing the water cooled spindle, I ran the HD520 with a PorterCable router on about 100 signs, mostly with out any problems and have also done a complete machine cleaning and lube according to MFG instructions.

Any Help?

tonydude

Re: New Spindle and HD520 - Spindle and/or XY Axis stops

Post by tonydude »

Call nextwave support 419-318-4822 9AM-5PM EST Mon-Fri.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

andycollen

Post by andycollen »

The NEW inverter for the spindle is the cause of the problem. I did the air cuts as suggested by tech support and with inverter unplugged from CNC controller and the file that bombs regularly (when the inverter connected) runs all the way through with no problems.

I have tested this several times and have even figured the following work around:
- Prepare job to run normally, start all processes on CNC
- As soon as jobs start running and spindle reaches file specified speed, unplug spindle connector from CNC control box
- When job finishes, stop spindle manually on control box, shutdown everything (otherwise spindle wont turn back on) and restart as normal.

NW has agreed to ship me new replacement spindle:-) :D

Rando

Post by Rando »

Andycollen:

The VFD very likely has a plastic chassis, and therefore simply mounting it does not actually ground the case. I experienced odd failures too, until I bonded the case of the VFD to the case of the controller. That was actually the "E" for "earth" screw connection on mine, and might be a ground-symbol on yours. See if that might be the problem. The VFD generates a LOT of electrical noise that is easily transferred into the rest of the system if it's not given a proper return path.

Hope that helps!

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

andycollen

Post by andycollen »

Wow thanks Rando! I'm trying to find any screw on outside of VFD. Gonna have a look inside the case. Any suggestions?

Rando

Post by Rando »

It's gonna be on the screw terminal block with all the others.
If you have a big-screw set (power and to the spindle motor) and a small-screw set (control signals),
then it will be on the big-screw terminal block somewhere.
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

TomGlander

Post by TomGlander »

I have the same or similar spindle. It started acting up, like the OP said... I removed it from the control box, and the CNC works fine now. I'll have to install the old Dewalt router in there for the time being. Will call customer support in the morning. The spindle controller seems to be acting up, and it's brand new, has about 2 hours of run time on it.

Papajag

Post by Papajag »

I recently purchased a Shark HD520 and got the 2 hp water-cooled spindle. It has worked fairly well but Saturday, it just stopped spinning. It moves and drags the bit around but no carving. Not sure what is the problem. I read that the firmware needs to by up-to-date or the spindle will not work properly. I have checked and the firmware is up-to-date. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

On a separate note, when the spindle was working, my designs were carving well at times but were very small. I had the state of Illinois designed as a 14" by 20" design but it carved it an inch tall. Not sure what I have done. Everything seemed correct in the tool paths and all. Thanks to all.