Gantry mounted dust boot HD520

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

wipiid

Gantry mounted dust boot HD520

Post by wipiid »

Has anyone designed a gantry-mounted dust boot that stays at the same level regardless of z height? I have a hell of a time with z shift/tilt when using a dust shoe that is mounted to the moving spindle. And before I get too far into my design and prototyping I was curious if anyone else has seen or built a dust shoe like this. otherwise, I need some MUCH softer strip brush that doesn't force the whole z-axis shift/tilt.

wipiid

Re: Gantry mounted dust boot HD520

Post by wipiid »

I have attached my second iteration. This is cut out of .090" ABS sheet 10"x25"
you will heat and bend the ABS sheet at the indicated spots in the crv file.
You will need to drill and tap a few holes in the gantry OR just predrill for some screws. These will go in the short slots, this is for removing the dust shroud and bit changes.
It holds a modified 4"to2.5" reducer that has the 2.5" side removes and opened to the full 4".
The slots in the side are for attaching something that holds your strip brush or skirt material.

With this dust shield, you will have three sides covered. And the brush will stay at the same height for the full job allowing the spindle to travel on the z-axis with no deflection from the brushes

It extends past the end
Attachments
gantry dust sides double bend.tap
(7.96 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm really curious to see your design.
Would you be willing to post the crv file?
Thank you,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

BobHD510

Post by BobHD510 »

Hi wipiid, This is a little off topic, but I have the 520 with the spindle. If you have the spindle, do you know if and how to run the spindle manually so as to be able to use the control software to vcarve lines and such manually?
Thanks, BobT
P.S. I will look at your tap file soon. I need so dust control badly.

ffloyd

Post by ffloyd »

I also have the HD520. I have been using the Dust Shoe from NextWave; It seemed "adequate" for flat material and the gantry was in the lowest position. Recently, I got the Standard 4th Axis and felt the need to move the gantry up to the "middle position". This caused the spindle to hit the z lower limit before the bit engaged the work and the bit is showing more than an inch below the skirt on the dust shoe. Using the Dust Shoe on the 4th axis doesn't pick up anything, so I built a fence out of 1/4" melamine and attached to the machine bed on either side of the 4th Axis. As long as it clears the gantry and the Z-axis carriage it works ok to keep the chips in a small area rather than all over my shop.

For flat stock, I am considering adding layers to the dust shoe to get it closer to the work. The spindle needs to be lower in the clamp that holds it to the Z carriage.

Has anyone done anything that would improve dust/chip pickup when using the 4th axis?
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5