Curved Betting (Poker) Chips Trays

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

Curved Betting (Poker) Chips Trays

Post by bill z »

A friend contracted me to build a Craps Table, complete with betting (poker) chips trays. The table was relatively straight forward and simple but the chips trays were more challenging. Craps tables have betting (poker) chip trays on the curved ends and that creates more of a challenge. 2 rail modeling in Aspire greatly helps but only by cutting do you know if the betting (poker) chips fit nice, too tight or too loose.

Other software could be used but Aspire is what I’ve been using.

In Aspire, I can not get the 2 rail modeling to cut along the curved rails, it only wants to cut in ether the X axis or Y.

Has anyone cut a curved chip tray? If so, I’d like to know what you did and how successful you were.

bill z

Re: Curved Betting (Poker) Chips Trays

Post by bill z »

After carving a bunch of scrap wood, I finally figured it out, or at lease what works for me.

In Aspire, In Toolpath in finishing Toolpath, in Machine Strategy, I chose Conventional Offset instead of Raster. At first I thought Raster would take less time but it doesn’t.

The other change I made was to set my Y axis in the rough cut, just a little high so the finishing cut would cut just a little deeper. This resulted in much less chipping out of some of the wood grain.

Carving in this manner resulted in much less sanding.

If any one is interested, I can send them a DXF.
-
-
IMG_1333[1].JPG

alpha11

Post by alpha11 »

i would love to get a copy of the file if its still available. im working on my first table and trying to figure out how to make portable trays out of Cedar or Oak for a traveling home game.

Bob

Post by Bob »

It might be fastest to contact Bill directly. Use the contact feature to the right of his post---->
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

alpha11

Post by alpha11 »

I tried but didnt give me the option to PM him. but also said he hasnt been active since 2021.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Here is a model of a Curved Tray I have created. I am also providing an image of that model carved in Vectric's V-Carve Pro CNC Software.
Model Curved Tray.png
Curved Tray.png
Do you have the dimensions of the tray(s) that you would be interested in having made???

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

alpha11

Post by alpha11 »

WOW i saw your website and you do some very nice work! As far as dimensions go, for the travel chip tray im looking at 4"x9" or so. and the curved racks for the table i haven't planned that far yet. Im still in the design/planning stages. Im using Aspire 9.5 with X-Carve CNC

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Yeah, I do have a few items there and I will be adding more as time permits!

Thank you for taking the time to view my website and responding to my post here on this thread.

Dimensions 4" x 9" x ?

Of Course when you get that far along in your planning the curvature will definitely be important especially if the trays are made segmented throughout the curvature.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

alpha11

Post by alpha11 »

the 4x9x1.75 are the travel stackable chip trays I was originally making for a traveling home game, and the curved ones are for the table I'm trying to plan out and build. I was looking for ideas and found theses

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

4_9_1.75_Straight_Tray.png
Straight Tray using your measurements.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554