Importing images and DWG / DXF files into cutting software

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

danontoast

Importing images and DWG / DXF files into cutting software

Post by danontoast »

Hi all,

I have some questions about the CNC Shark Pro Plus Routing System which i am thinking of getting.

I already use AutoCAD for my real work (architecture and 3d modelling) - can I make 3d models in autocad and create cutting projects from those. Maybe import them into the software you provide for the cutting? This would make it much easier than learning a new piece of software. Can it import DWG or DXF or 3DSmax models?

How loud is the machine in dB?

How long would it take to cut simple 12"x12" letters. No bevelled edges or anything fancy, just a 1ft x 1ft 'H' or 'A' straight cut letter in a standard times roman or arial font from 1/2" wood. I read a lot about people carving for 10hrs but my wife likes these carved letters as simple decoration on the mantel and that would be a fun gift to start of with.

Finally, is there a way to also import photoshop or other image formats into the software. I know this will not include any depth of cut, but could that be added in the cutting software you provide. I am thinking of doing a silhouette of my nieces/nephews faces for presents if i can get a good profile photo.

Thanks, Dan

Loudspeakerboy

Re: Importing images and DWG / DXF files into cutting softwa

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

Hi Dan

I'm not very wordy, so here are some short answers..

I do all of my drawing on my Mac and then export as a DXF file. I find this to be much faster than drawing in Vcarve.

The CNC machine is probabley under 70db, it's the router that makes the racket. Depending on feed rate and bit type you can easily hit 100db.

To do a letter as described.. About 10 minutes depending on material..

I can't respond to you last question as I use my shark for building acoustic guitars and making tools to build same..

Hope this helps a little. Cheers, Michael

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

PS

Doing lettering in Vcarve is a breaze. I have had to import fonts, but that's normal.

FixitMike

Post by FixitMike »

You can edit a photo with Paint, and then save as a bitmap. You can then import the bitmap file into Vcarve. Vcarve can turn a bitmap into vectors for carving, although I've found it faster to trace the imported bitmap for the few times I've done it.

danontoast

Post by danontoast »

thanks for all the replies...it seems like i can use autoCAD and photoshop easily enough which is a big relief.

I had questions about the way the CNC actually cuts but will post about that in another thread.

thanks again.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

And you don't have to take our word for it (lol) - you can download fully functional trial versions of VCarve Pro and/or Aspire at www.vectric.com and see for your self. There are great tutorials available as well.

budwood2

Post by budwood2 »

Here is a web site that offers to make height map faces for cnc carving:

http://www.patternhelp.com

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

hi budwood2,
Can you check the name of the website you recommended for height maps for cnc carving? I looked for the name you gave and it doesn't seem to exist.
Thanks.
Kevin