Dust Collection

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hdtheater

Re: Dust Collection

Post by hdtheater »

Haltex wrote:Eric,

The Vac Mount DXF file can be used as a 1/4 inch spacer that is mount to the bottom with the nut of the router plate that has matching patterns of the magnet to hold it in place. The other way is to make the Vac Mount with a thin peace of metal that you see in the photo that is bolted to the bottom of the router plate to hold the Vac Q that also has magnets to hold in place. I hope this help.

Hal
I have been working on making a dust boot this weekend. I have taken your files and made a few changes to it. I added pockets to add the magnets to and made in a little longer behind the router.

I am making two different versions too. One with brushes and another without them. I think I might try the felt skirt idea that was posted earlier in this thread.

I bought some dryer duct this afternoon and some mounting plates, but I am going to stop for the day.

My next step is going to be where to mount the other end of the dryer duct. I am trying to deiced between, making something to mount it to the gantry or hang it from the ceiling.

Thanks again,

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

Haltex

Post by Haltex »

Eric.

Thats great, yea put your owen touch to it. There was another gentalman that made one a while back, I thought it was keen he made a small pedastel right on top over the Z axles above the motor. I don.t think I would hang it from the celling. You got a good start. When you get it all together I really want to see it.

I found this last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ehFKTj ... re=related
Hal

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Here is where I am at. I got the boot cut and the hose and magnets mounted. I am working on how I want to suspend the hose to keep the weight off the boot and router. I have tested it and the weight of the hose and boot is too much for the magnets to hold on their own.

I have been reading up on dust collection and want to avoid as much vertical length as possible. I want to avoid mounting something to the gantry if at all possible. I am going to see about how I can rig something up to suspend it from the ceiling and then just hook it to the hose on my shop vac.

I welcome comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Haltex

Post by Haltex »

Eric,

You need to put 2 magnets on the front of the collecter I had the sane problem and ended up doing so. It looks great,you know if at all possable try as I did if its on a table rig sonethimg behind and above it to carry the weight. I put a piece to hang it fron and also swivl side to side

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Thanks for the tip, I have some smaller magnets I can use on the front. The ones that are there now are 5/8" diameter. I was hoping they would be strong enough. I'll add those tonight.

This afternoon, I was able to work on the metal plates to mount under the router. I took a metal roofing strap I had and cut it to fit and drilled for holes. The big holes are for the router bolts, the small ones were there from the strap.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Haltex

Post by Haltex »

Eric,
It looks good yours is put together alot better, I guess Ill have to paint nime now do you think. Well your on the road now, I had a feeling you would come out snelling like rose. On the back theres a pipe that I put a 1/2 rod bent to a 90 degree stuck in the pipe and bent a hook in the other end. I welded a shime on the rod to help it pivet around. I cut the dryer pipe down so there was a egual amout over the top of the cnc ,put a 4' plastic pipe at the two ends to conect the dryer pipe back to gether that made it to where I could put a eyelet thru to plastic to hang on the rod.

Hal

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

What a difference two more magnets make!

The boot is mounted and the hose can hang to the floor and not fall off now. Which is good because I am out of magnets now! These were left over from another project.

I am going to work on hanging the hose next. I like your idea of the custom coupler being the spot to hang it from. How much hose did you leave on each side?

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Haltex

Post by Haltex »

Eric,

Figger out where and how your going to set the pivet point on and above the cnc. That will help on how long the hose will be. The gantry will only move even with the back of CNC thats where my pole is located. I started out with a triangle shape in the back with supports but found some exstrution in the tool box thern add 4 bearings and ended up here.

Hal

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Thought I would give you and update of my progress.

I finished the magnets the other night and then added some foam sheeting to use as a skirt.

I cut the wires at the end of the dryer duct and tapered the end onto a vacuum hose tip that I had laying around from an additional vacuum hose that I bought.

Here is a crude shot of it in it's current state.

I still need to come up with a mounting rig for the hose as it goes over the top of the gantry. What you see here is two really big rubber bands. I may try and rig something up to hang off my garage door track. I don't have a lot of space so what ever I do has to be able to taken down and stored somewhere.
Thanks,

-Eric

Haltex

Post by Haltex »

I found a place to buy the skirts for the dust coLlector Kent CNC Hes asking $20.00.http://www.KentCNC.net/nc/orderdetails.aspx?orderid=166