HELP!!! Extracting Shapes in VCarve

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

REG

Re: HELP!!! Extracting Shapes in VCarve

Post by REG »

enriquewoodcarver wrote:

so I can to the editing in VCarve Pro or in Aspre???
No editing of .stl files in VCarve. You can in Aspire. Use Aspire trial version to be certain your scan can be tooled to your satisfaction. If you like it you can tell the boss you need a $1600.00 raise.

EricTalley

Post by EricTalley »

I don't have your answer, however I have a question that I think you can answer. The paper work that I have does not cover this.

I am getting set up to scan my first object. What I am going to scan is a 3D Marine Corps Emblem. 1.25 inches at the height of the globe.

My question is, does the 3D object being scanned need to be convex or concave? Does it matter?

I don't want to break the probe if the program is meant to scan into a concave 3D object instead of scan an object that protrudes from the surface.

Am I making any sense?

Eric Talley (910) 389-7709

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Eric,

You should be fine with the logo. The probe scans both concave and convex profiles. You do have to be careful when scanning something that has a complex recess - like a cliff overhang for example, or something that would snag the probe as it moves across the surface.

My advice to you - or anyone scanning, particularly for the first time or for the first time on a new object that is complex - is to set up some test scans over a small subset area - like 1" x 1". Be conservative in your settings for this most complex trial area, and then run it a couple of times perhaps with different settings to get the outcome you want. Then scan the 'whole thing'. This will save you a lot of grief - even if it is as mundane as the resolution was too low, and after that 2 hour scan, I've got to do it again.

For really complex areas, you may have to go with a slower movement rate to help minimize the opportunity for snags.

EricTalley

Post by EricTalley »

Thanks Joe, I'll do as suggested.
Eric