Help in Aspire

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

enriquewoodcarver

Help in Aspire

Post by enriquewoodcarver »

well I just downlaoded the Trial of Aspire but this what I want to do and maybe this pic are already familiar to u guys...Im about to start a new project and is gonna be something familiar to the project I did before on editing...
well I had this piece that I carved I scanned with the touch Probe but as we know that it scans in a square mode so I want to edit the piece and Im gonna need some help if theres someone that can show me the steps how to edit......a lot of ppl had told me it can be done in aspire even someone help me edit the stl. but he told me to get the trial but I was busy at that time, that I couldnt download it so now that Im between of a new project he told me hes busy and cant help which I understand... but is there someone that can help me out I'll appreciate your help...

He did a preview with Aspire as u'll see it doesnt show the square no more...

Thanks for helping me out....
Attachments
With the square in Vcarve Pro preview
With the square in Vcarve Pro preview
In Aspire Preview No squares
In Aspire Preview No squares
ER

Buc

Re: Help in Aspire

Post by Buc »

EWC,

On the drawing tap, create a vector (square) around your STL and select that surrounding vector and recreate your tool path. See if that helps.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

aldepoalo

Post by aldepoalo »

I am not sure how it works in Aspire, but with most CAD packages you are not able to create wire frame off an STL file.

I think what you are asking for is the profiles of the part as wire frame, lines and arcs that make up the outside profile of the carving found in the square?
Is this correct?

What you may need to do is trace over the shape to get these edges. Having the STL loaded in the back round sketch and use the model as a guide.

Am I understanding what you want?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi ER,

In Aspire, there are 3D modeling tools of course. Some of these are editing and some are creation. In all cases, when you use these tools you are working on one or more Components (3D) which are found in the Component Tree list in the Modeling Tab.

When you import your scan (as an stl file), that is a 'new' component and you'll find it in the Component Tree list.

At that point, I would select the component (the imported scan object), and I would try the 'Apply Smoothing Filter'. You can read about this in the Aspire Help. This has removed/smoothed away almost all of the 'bumps' in my scans thus far.
Smoothing Filter Tool
Smoothing Filter Tool
Every now and then I'll find a few that the smooth doesn't remove at the settings I've chosen, and I'm not willing to smooth 'more' as it will change the shape of the component. In those situations I use the Sculpting Tool, Smooth tool to fix it up in select areas.
Sculpting Tool Opened
Sculpting Tool Opened
To get kick started on these, see the "Introduction to Components", "Grouping and Baking Components" and "Sculpting Tool Overview" tutorials - http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... orials.htm

enriquewoodcarver

Thanks for the help but some ppl were tellin me to use other tools cuz I want to keep the shape and is not a copy of a paper is a piece that was carved with the touch probe so they told me to use these tool that I show in the pic below but cant do it I already did a vector around them and nothing....
Attachments
Aspire.png
ER

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Enrique,

I understand what some other folks have posted in this thread. The work flow I find myself using, for what it's worth is

- Import the scanned model/object (an .stl file)

- Use the Apply Smoothing Filter tool

- Use the Sculpting Tool for any specific small area touch ups.

You may in fact have to create a vector that is the exact shape of an area where no material is present. Another option is to use the Sculpting Tool and 'Erase' (shift Undo Brush).

But, the smoothing filter and sculpting tools will enable you to 'remove' the bumps.

You also may in fact have to 'bake' the model at some point in order to use these tools. Again, I think it would help you understand this better if you went through the Vectric Aspire tutorials I mentioned above.

Lastly - some ideas have been presented, it sounds like you've downloaded and installed the Aspire trial software - give them a whirl and see what you find. Good luck.

enriquewoodcarver

Thanks Jeb but heres the problem Im having I dont even see the image this is how it looks in the pic..
this is wat I do
First I go to File > Import than it opens on the Modeling Tap I just adjust the measurements and Ok and than it just look like in the pic...

what Im doing wrong?
Attachments
aspire 1.png
ER

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi ER - it looks like the scan was 'flat' - no data besides 0 in z - or at least the same value in z. When you first opened the scan file (ends in stl), using the File, Import, Import Component/3D Model, did it look flat like this?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi ER - thanks for sharing your very large scan file. So, I first import the model using the Import Component / 3D Model tool.
Import Component / 3D Model
Import Component / 3D Model
When you import an stl that is from a scan, a couple of things are set by default in the Orient 3D Model panel. The model size won't make any sense - it's usually much larger than what you scanned. And, the Zero Plane Position in Model is set to Top.
Orient Model Initial View
Orient Model Initial View
Leaving the Lock XYZ ratio checked, I went ahead and set an X of 8". I typically use the same value as the original scanned object. Then hit Apply.
Adjusting the Model Size
Adjusting the Model Size
3 attachment limit - on to the next post...

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Continuing on...

I then set the Zero Plane Position to 'Bottom'. It may not always be the right setting and certainly you'll have to be the judge of that as you know how you set this up. Typically you set the scan probe at least 0.25" above the highest point of the object you are scanning. And, the object may not be 4" deep / tall. So, setting it to the 'Bottom' may not be the right pick. I never find myself leaving this set to Top, as this would result in the entire scanned object falling 'below' that plane. If you leave it on 'Top', and hit ok, all of the '3D part' of the scan ends up being discarded as the 'Discard data below zero plane' is checked by default. I think that's what happened in the picture you posted earlier.
Zero Plane Set to Bottom
Zero Plane Set to Bottom
You could also choose to set the Zero Plane Position at a distance above "Bottom". In this screen grab, I set it to 0.55"
Zero Plane Set to 0.55"
Zero Plane Set to 0.55"
Then selecting OK generates the 3D component and adds it to the Aspire project.
Resulting 3D component Zero Plane at Bottom
Resulting 3D component Zero Plane at Bottom
3 attachment limit...